Birmingham’s two oldest cemeteries
With Key Hill opening in 1836 and Warstone Lane in 1848, they have provided a final resting place for many notable Birmingham figures.
The landscapes of both cemeteries are listed on the Historic England Register of Parks and Gardens in recognition of their great historic importance.
This project aimed to restore them to their former glory and protect them for future generations.
Alongside the restoration work, there was an extensive programme of events celebrating the heritage, natural environment and community value of the cemeteries.
The key aims of the project:
- To change perception of the cemeteries and raise awareness of their historical importance
- To get more people to visit the cemeteries and become actively engaged with the project
- To add to the ‘sense of place’ in the JQ, boosting pride and confidence in the area
- To build strong partnerships with local residents, business and communities
- To provide new resources for education and life-long learning about nature and heritage.
Key Hill Cemetery
Originally known as the Birmingham General Cemetery and opened in 1836, Key Hill was Birmingham’s first garden cemetery. It was founded by a group of non-conformist businessmen to solve the shortage of burial space in the city and allow their Ministers to conduct funerals. The cemetery and was open to all creeds and denominations.
Warstone Lane Cemetery
Founded by the Church of England Cemetery company and consecrated by the Bishop of Worcester in 1848, designed to serve the Anglican community. This was the second garden cemetery in Birmingham, also located in the Jewellery Quarter, inspired by the success of the neighbouring Key Hill cemetery.